Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Book Recommendation- The Next Story

I benefitted from a book about technology. Chances are, you will too. The book is not about how you can make Facebook and mobile phones work better. Instead, this particular book is a great reminder that all of our technology is supposed to work for us. Technology should serve you, not make you it's servant.

The book I am talking about is titled The Next Story: Life and Faith after the Digital Explosion. The book is written by Tim Challies (www.challies.com) and is a call to us who are now living in the digital age to live faithfully and wisely in these new times.

One of the most helpful portions of this book to me was the point that multi-tasking is actually a distraction. Like many people, I want to check my text or e-mail as soon as I hear a noise that tells me I've received that communication. It turns out that we are actually far less productive when we are able to be manipulated by such a small, beeping noise.

Be sure to also check out the section on immediate versus mediated conversation.

More information about the book can be found on the amazon site here: http://www.amazon.com/Next-Story-Faith-Digital-Explosion/dp/0310329035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305728822&sr=8-1

1 comment:

  1. As a perfect illustration, this popped up while I am at work, and I am less productive while I read it.

    Good recommendation, though.

    ReplyDelete